The debate between stationary bike vs running is a long one, and selecting the right choice between running and stationary bike would totally depend on one’s lifestyle and habit. Both of them help to burn calories and build endurance.
Here are some interesting facts about the two exercises.
Table of Contents
Keep In Mind: Stationary Bike Vs Running
Both exercises have their benefits but you should make a wise choice based on your requirement. The good thing about stationary bikes is that you do not have to leave the comforts of your home, on the other hand a bout of bad weather could stop you from going out and running.
Stationary bikes have a little or no impact on the ankles and knees.
There is no doubt that running is a very convenient and cost effective way of exercising. All you need to do is to buy a good pair of shoes, and have access to an open space and you are good to go.
Research has shown that people can burn about 336 calories on a stationary bike and 384 calories while participating in running.
Factors That Need To Be Taken Into Consideration
Here are some factors that need to be taken in view before choosing between a stationary bike and running.
- Experts have suggested that people can indulge in running even when they have aged substantially but they are exposed to the risk of exacerbate injuries or even runner’s knees. People with knee pain prefer to use stationary bikes to get their share of exercise as they do not have any impact on the knees. This is ideal for people who have issues with
- The good thing I that stationary bikes have a lot of variety to them such as recumbent bikes and standard bikes. Certain models have handles fixed with the pedals to give the upper body a good workout.
- If an individual has been out of action for a long time then a consultation with a doctor should be on the cards.
The Advantages Of Running
Running helps you lose all the excess fat from your body along with increasing your endurance level.
You will also learn how to control your breathing properly and this is a huge advantage.
Here is a list of some of the best advantages of indulging in running for couple of days in a week.
- This is a fabulous way to knock of all those extra pounds. The good thing about this exercise is that it is cost effective and you do not have to invest in any equipment. This can be done at least 5 times within a week for an hour or so. To get the best results one must combine a healthy diet with this exercise.
- Recent survey has shown that running tends to make people feel very good. While you perform this exercise your brain tends to produce a hormone called endorphins, this causes you to feel happy and confident.
- There is no denying that running on a regular basis keeps the heart strong. You have to remember that the heart is muscle too, so with regular exercise it improves. If you run on a regular basis you can prevent yourself from getting blood pressure, a stroke, a heart attack or any heart disease.
- With regular running you can expect your muscles to stay tones. You will also lose substantial amount of fat from the body. You can expect your leg muscles to become stronger too.
- Since running gives your entire body a workout, you can expect to lose weight evenly all over your body. With intense running you can drop a lot of calories within a short period of time.
The Advantages Of Stationary Cycling
Getting a good workout is no longer very hard. As in today’s world where technology is advancing by the minute, you can always invest in a stationary bike to get the best possible results.
Here are some major advantages of buying a stationary cycle and exercising on it.
- With stationary biking one can get an intense cardiovascular exercise. To stay in perfect shape you can indulge in this three times a week. A stationary bike with adjustable speed lets you enjoy an intense workout. This instrument will permit you to enjoy a real intense workout routine.
- Do not worry about your joints as stationary biking does not have any impact on them. You can carry on with your biking without feeling any discomfort at all.
- Regular cycling will add strength to the legs. You can use the different speeds to get your legs to get stronger. Make sure that you get a good stretch before you begin cycling.
- You may be surprised but stationary cycling also tightens and strengthens the abdominal muscles. If you are able to balance yourself on the bike then your core muscles will get strengthened really fast.
- A stationary bike will cost a lot less than normal bikes. Also this can be stored in the house without taking much space.
While debating on stationary bike vs running you have to remember that both tone and strengthen similar muscle groups such as calves, hamstring and quadriceps.
While running only uses a few more such as abdominals, obliques, and hip flexors. Since you do not have to worry about balance on stationary bikes these muscle groups do not come into play.
So, it does not matter if you want to slim down or you want to stay healthy, these exercises can certainly help you achieve your goals. They do share some similarities but they are also very different in their own way.
So, choosing one will totally depend on what you want and your requirements.
Everyone is built differently, so you may find it very suitable to run while another person will want to cycle on a stationary bike.
However, it is always better to consult a professional trainer to understand what will work for you these.
No matter what exercise you choose you should be a little dedicated and systematic in your approach.